confused Re: swap on RAID (was Re: swp - Re: ext3 journal on software raid)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Andy Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:04:00PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Mike Hardy wrote:
> >
> > > There are those that think if they size the machine correctly, they
> > > shouldn't need swap, and they're right.
> >
> > bingo
>
> Yet in an earlier reply you state that your machines have swap
> configured.
>
> There is a difference between these two statements:

since you're implying/saying i said those two statements
below ( a and b ):

you are one totally confused dude ... sorry to say ...

i never said either of those two statements ... that is yur words
and you're understanding of some mixture of lots of comments

	== grep "under normal load" sent-mail raid ==
	( pick any set of words of your "quote" for grep )

 	- it's not even in anybody comments posted, since i save
	all of my posts ( in sent-mail ) and not in anybody elses
	replies that is saved here
	( thus my comment ... you're confused .. )

please refrain from making (re)quotes .. i didn't say so that
i don't have to reply

please do try to use:  instead of "implying" i said something
as in your "there is two different statments" in response to me
which i didn't say either statments you're "quoting" incorrectly

	"from what i gather, i understand that ... "
	"i think this is ..."
	.. blah blah ..

>         a) I need some amount of swap configured but don't expect a
>         significant swap usage under normal load.
>
>         b) I expect my server to always be using a significant
>         amount of swap.

i personally do not expect any system i'm involved with to use any
swap and if it does, i'd be adding more memory, as soon as they
complain its running too slow when xxx or yyy job is running
	- they have choices of what they want done about it

and it is NOT the same thing ... "not using swap" vs not creating one
	- i don't use swap and i rather the system not use it ...
	but i do create an itty bitty 250MB of swap partition
	even if there's is 2GB of system memory

	- in other cases ... like embedded systems ...

	it has no swap files .. no swap partitions adn things
	works just fine

	another example might be cell phones .. does those
	puppies have swap space ?? ( probably not )

c ya
alvin

-