Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:19:34 +0100
ptb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter T. Breuer) wrote:

> Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tuesday January 4, ptb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Bits flip on our client disks all the time :(.
> >
> > You seem to be alone in reporting this.  I certainly have never
> > experienced anything quite like what you seem to be reporting.
>
> I don't feel the need to prove it to you via actual evidence.  You
> already know of mechanisms which produce such an effect:
>
> > Certainly there are reports of flipped bits in memory.
>
>  .. and that is all the same to your code when it comes to resyncing.
>  You don't care whether the change is real or produced in the cpu, on the
> bus, or wherever. It still is what you will observe and copy.

You work with PC servers, so live with it.

If you want to have the right to complain about bits being flipped in
hardware randomly, go get a job with IBM mainframes or something.

And since you like theoretic approach to problems, I might have a suggestion
for you: pick a linux kernel subsystem of your choice, think of it as a
state machine, roll out all the states and then check which states are not
covered by the code.
I think that will keep you busy and the result might have some value for the
community.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org/