Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard)

Brad Campbell <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm wondering how difficult it may be for you to extend your md5sum script to diff the pair of files
> and actually determine the extent of the corruption. bit/byte/word/.../sector/.../stripe wise?

Not much.  But I don't bother.  It's a majority vote amongst all the
identical machines involved and the loser gets rewritten. The script
identifies a majority group and a minority group. If the minority is 1
it rewrites it without question.  If the minority group is bigger it
refers the notice to me.

> I have 2 RAID-5 arrays here. a 3x233GiB and a 10x233GiB and I when I install new data on the drives
> I add the md5sum of that data to an existing database stored on another machine. This gets compared
> against the data on the arrays weekly and I have yet to see a silent corruption in 18 months.

Looking at the lists of pending repairs over xmas, I see a pile that
will have to be investigated. I am about to do it, since you reminded me
to look at these.

> I do occasionally remove/re-add a drive to each array, which causes a full resync of the array and
> should show up any parity inconsistency by a faulty fsck or md5sum. It has not as yet.

No - it should not show it.

> Honestly, in my years running Linux and multiple drive arrays I have never experienced errors such
> as you are getting.

Then you are not trying to manage hundreds of clients at a time.

> Oh.. and both my arrays are running ext3 with an internal journal (as are all my other partitions on
> all my other machines).
>
> Perhaps I'm lucky?

You're both not looking in the right way and not running the right
experiment.

Peter

-