From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of maarten
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 4:05 PM
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ext3 journal on software raid (was Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10
crashing repeatedly and hard)

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 20:57, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Maarten wrote:
> > failures within the first 10 years, let alone 20, to even remotely
> > support that outrageous MTBF claim.
>
> One should note that environment seriously affects MTBF, even on
> non-movable parts, and probably even more on movable parts.

Yes.  Heat especially above all else.

> I've talked to people in the reliability business, and they use models
> that say that MTBF for a part at 20 C as opposed to 40 C can differ by a
> factor of 3 or 4, or even more. A lot of people skimp on cooling and then
> get upset when their drives fail.
>
> I'd venture to guess that a drive that has an MTBF of 1.2M at 25C will
> have less than 1/10th of that at 55-60C.

Yes. I know that full well.  Therefore my server drives are mounted directly

behind two monstrous 12cm fans...  I don't take no risks.  :-)

Still, two western digitals have died within the first or second year in
that
enclosure. So much for MTBF vs. real world expectancy I guess.

It should be public knowledge by now that heat is the number 1 killer for
harddisks.  However, you still see PC cases everywhere where disks are
sandwiched together and with no possible airflow at all. Go figure...

Maarten

--

-