Re: Possible failures in raid5?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 03:40:22AM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
Luca Berra wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 10:35:33PM -0500, Guy wrote:

For testing the disk(s) status, look at smartd.
My disks are too old, but newer disks should support this.

except that libata does not support S.M.A.R.T.

There is an experimental patch in the libata-dev tree that appears (and I mean it works for me) to support SMART reliably on a UP kernel. There is a known issue with SMP kernels ATM. I have been using it every 20 minutes on a reasonably loaded server with 13 SATA and 1 ATA disks now for what must be several months with no issues. (It has helped detect a pending disk failure quite nicely)/

I guess it will stay experimental until someone with an SMP machine can assist Andy in debugging the SCSI passthough code (It's not SMART specific at this stage).

thanks for the info, i will check it out (is there a snapshot of the libata-dev for non bk users? /pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata on kernel.org seems to be a bit behind) Unfortunately i don't own a SMP machine with sata drives. L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.