From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Stumpf
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 9:45 AM
To: Guy; linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2 drive dropout (and raid 5), simultaneous, after 3 years

All I see is this:

Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: scsi: device set offline - not ready or
command retry failed after host reset: host 1 channel 0 id 2 lun 0
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: scsi: device set offline - not ready or
command retry failed after host reset: host 1 channel 0 id 3 lun 0
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: updating md1 RAID superblock on device
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: (skipping faulty sdj1 )
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: (skipping faulty sdi1 )
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: sdh1 [events: 000000b5]<6>(write)
sdh1's sb offset: 117186944
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: sdg1 [events: 000000b5]<6>(write)
sdg1's sb offset: 117186944
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: recovery thread got woken up ...
Apr 14 22:03:56 drown kernel: md: recovery thread finished ...

What the heck could that be?  Can that possibly be related to the fact
that there weren't proper block device nodes sitting in the filesystem?!

I already ran WD's wonky tool to fix their "DMA timeout" problem, and
one of the drives is a maxtor.  They're on separate ATA cables, and I've
got about 5 drives per power supply.  I checked heat, and it wasn't very
high.

Any other sources of information I could tap?  Maybe an "MD debug"
setting in the kernel with a recompile?