Re: Looking for the cause of poor I/O performance

My understanding of 'readahead' is that when an application asks for 312 bytes of data, the buffering code will anticipate more data is required and will fill a buffer (4096 bytes). If we know that apps are really greedy and read *loads* of data then we set a large readahead which will cause the buffer code (?) to fill a further n buffers/kb according to the readahead setting. This will all be read sequentially and the performance boost is because the read heads on the drive get all the data in one 'hit' - no unneeded seeks, no rotational latency.

That's not the same as raid5 where when asked for 312 bytes of data, the buffering code wil fill the 4k buffer and then will issue a readahead on the next n kb of data - which is spread over multiple disks, which read in parallel, not sequentially.

Yes, the readahead triggers this behaviour - but you say "RAID5 can't do read balancing." - which I thought it could through this mechanism.

It depends whether the original use of "read balancing" in this context means "selecting a drive to obtain the data from according to the drive's read queue" (no) or "distributing reads amongst the drives to obtain a throughput greater than that of one individual drive" (yes)
(OK, the terminology is not quite exact but...)

do we agree? Or have I misunderstood something?

David

Guy wrote:

Yes.  I did say it reads ahead!

Guy