Re: Looking for the cause of poor I/O performance

> My linux system is a P3-500 with 2 CPUs and 512 Meg RAM.  My system is much
> faster than my network.  I don't know how your K6-500 compares to my
> P3-500. But RAM may be your issue.  That amount of ram seems very low.  Are
> you swapping?  What is your CPU load during the tests?  If you are at 100%,
> then you are CPU bound.

You've got a dual CPU setup, mine is only single. I'll bet you have a server
chipset too. Still, I have serious doubts that the CPU is at fault. My guess
would be that this could be a VIA chipset problem. The load averages while
running these tests are allways well below 1.

I mistyped the amount of memory. I have approx 409 MB. I am not swapping.

> Your disk performance is faster than a 100BaseT network.  So, your
> performance may not be an issue.

The network is gigabit, with a crossover to the client machine. I used ttcp to
verify that the link is capable of over 146 MB/sec.

TJ
-