RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

The ECC is not the low level data.  The servo tracks are.  I bet there are
start of track/sector header marks also.  I believe a low level format will
not re-write the servo tracks.  Some drives reserve 1 side of 1 platter for
servo data.  Others mix the servo data with user data.  I don't know the
full details, just tidbit I have read over the years.

If your drives were cooled better than most, that may explain why you did
not have the "substrate had heat expansion issues".  Just a guess.

If the problem was a firmware issue, why didn't IBM release a firmware
update?

You said:
"the firmware theory is supported by the fact that many deathstars
performed perfectly well for many years"

Are you saying some drives had good firmware, while others had bad firmware?
Otherwise, I don't understand your logic, since a drive not failing does not
prove a firmware bug.

Guy