Re: Help - this doesn't look good...

Neil Brown wrote:

On Thursday November 25, david@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Sigh,

I'm having what might be xfs/nfsd conflicts and thought I'd reboot into an old 2.6.6 kernel which used to be stable.

Of course it spotted the fd partitions and tried to start the array.
It failed (the old kernel didn't have a driver for the new controller so some devices were missing)

However when I came back to 2.6.9 I get the rather conflicting status shown below.

You might need to explain to me what is "conflicting". It looks to be
like the array as 6 working devices and one spare, and that due to an
unclean shutdown it is resyncing the 6 working devices.

That's good - I wasn't aware of that mode of operation.
The only time I thought that a resync occurred was if a drive 'failed' and was then hot-added. Seeing a resync and no inactive drives looked inconsistent.

mdadm doesn't indicate which drive is resyncing?
Is there a particular drive at fault or is this more of a sync-check than a resync?

Maybe one for the docs:

The md raid driver will resync in two situations; a resync occurs when a drive is hot-added to a degraded array (usually at first assembly and any time after a drive failure). In this case the array will show the resyncing drive as inactive until the resync completes and it is integrated into the array; a resync can also occur after an unclean shutdown when (presumably) there is an inconsistency in the array devices. In this case all the elements are still active and the resync is just checking to ensure no corruption has occurred.

David