RE: Good news / bad news - The joys of RAID

> SATA / IDE drives have an MTBF similar to that of SCSI / Fibre. But this
> is based upon their expected use... i.e. SCSI used to be [power on hours
> = 24hr] [use = 8 hours].. whilst SATA used to be [power on = 8 hours]
> and [use = 20 mins].

the vendors I talk to always quote SCSI/FC at 100% power 100% duty,
and PATA/SATA at 100% power 20% duty.

> Regardless of what some people clam (usually those that only sell sata
> based raids), the drives are not constructed the same in any way.

obviously, there *have* been pairs of SCSI/ATA disks which had
identical mech/analog sections.  but the mech/analog fall into
just two kinds:

	- optimized for IOPS: 10-15K rpm for minimal rotational
	latency, narrow recording area for low seek distance,
	quite low bit and track density to avoid long waits for
	the head to stabilize after a seek.

	- optimized for density/bandwidth: high bit/track density,
	wide recording area, modest seeks/rotation speed.

the first is SCSI/FC and the second ATA, mainly for historic reasons.

> SATA's fail more within a raid environment (probably around 10:1)
> because of the heavy use and also because they are not as intelligent...

what connection are you drawing between raid and "heavy use"?
how does being in a raid increase the IO load per disk?

> therefore when they do not respond we have no way of interrogating them
> or resetting them, whilst with scsi we do both.

you've never seen a SCSI reset that looks just like an ATA reset?
sorry, but SCSI has no magic.

> This means that a raid
> controller / driver has no option to but simply fail the drive.

no.

> Maxtor lead the way in capacity and also reliability... I personal had
> to recall countless earlier IBMs and replace them with maxtor.  But the

afaikt, the deathstar incident was actually bad firmware
(didn't correctly flush data when hard powered off, resulting in
blocks on disk with bogus ECC, which had to be considered bad from
then on, even if the media was perfect.)

-