Re: RAID-6: help wanted

Jim Paris wrote:
That makes sense (and definitely explains why I didn't find the problem.)

I tried it out, and it seems much better now. It does, however, still seem to have a problem:

+ e2fsck -nf /dev/md6
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Inode 7 has illegal block(s).  Clear? no

Illegal block #-1 (33619968) in inode 7.  IGNORED.
Error while iterating over blocks in inode 7: Illegal indirect block found
e2fsck: aborted

The patch (thanks, Neil!) seems to work fine for me with both the
ReiserFS and ext2 test scripts, on an x86, both with and without
waiting for resync.

Right, see previous; it seems to be an unrelated ppc64 problem that happens even without RAID of any kind. I'm building an i386 kernel with the patch now to try it out.

FWIW, I also hacked up Altivec support for ppc/ppc64; it took all of a whopping half-hour to make work, since gcc can generate Altivec code and it's actually quite good at it. The resulting code runs at a whopping 6.1 GB/s on a 2.5 GHz 970.

	-hpa
-