Re: raid5, media scans and stripe-wise resync

One problem with doing a surface scan which writes and reads back the data is that in the event of weak/worn media, the data can appear to be good, but degrade quickly (mag fields go soft). Just my own 2 cents, but the sick fella should be shot and buried immediately, no second chances.
b-

Bruce Lowekamp wrote:

There was a recent conversation on this mailing list about
transparently recovering from read errors (essentially just rewriting
the bad stripe and letting the disk handle it), but I think it focused
on Raid 1.  It would be a natural for Raid 5 or 6, but I haven't seen
an experimental patch to do that.

If you just want to monitor, look at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
each of the drives in my array has a montoring config:
/dev/hda -a -o on -S on -R 194 -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/07) -m
lowekamp@xxxxxxxxx

two weeks ago I got email that one disk had a bad read on a sector
during its weekly long scan (an entire surface scan).  I failed that
drive manually, waited until it resynced on the spare, overwrote the
entire drive to let the drive clear the sector (and make sure there
weren't any other problems), then reran the test and set that drive as
the spare.

I'd still feel safer if it automatically overwrote only the sector
with the read error, but at least this way I knew that the other 9
drives had passed a surface scan just before, so I wasn't likely to
run into a second read failure on rebuild.

Bruce