Re: raid5, media scans and stripe-wise resync

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:39, Bruce Lowekamp wrote:
> There was a recent conversation on this mailing list about
> transparently recovering from read errors (essentially just rewriting
> the bad stripe and letting the disk handle it), but I think it focused
> on Raid 1.  It would be a natural for Raid 5 or 6, but I haven't seen
> an experimental patch to do that.
>
> If you just want to monitor, look at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
> each of the drives in my array has a montoring config:
> /dev/hda -a -o on -S on -R 194 -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/07) -m
> lowekamp@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the reference.

> two weeks ago I got email that one disk had a bad read on a sector
> during its weekly long scan (an entire surface scan).  I failed that
> drive manually, waited until it resynced on the spare, overwrote the
> entire drive to let the drive clear the sector (and make sure there
> weren't any other problems), then reran the test and set that drive as
> the spare.

Check out the utility 'scu' at the url:
http://www.bit-net.com/%7Ermiller/scu.html

It will allow you to 'reassign' the block directly by accessing the scsi
commands.  I've tried the rewrite method you used above, and once or
twice had problems.

> I'd still feel safer if it automatically overwrote only the sector
> with the read error, but at least this way I knew that the other 9
> drives had passed a surface scan just before, so I wasn't likely to
> run into a second read failure on rebuild.

Yeah.  After scanning all disks you are reasonably assured.  But should
it happen that there are two defects, you are completely screwed.  No
way around it, I think.

I'd really like a way to resync a single stripe...

David

-