From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Scobie
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 2:42 PM
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Poor RAID5 performance on new SMP system

Marc Marais wrote:
> I've moved one of the IDE cards to the 64 bit bus and thats improved
things a
> lot. The 2nd card isnt 3.3v capable and won't go into the 64 bit slot
though
> so I'm going to replace it.
>
> I noticed using vmstat that the average latency (await) is over 50ms for
the
> card on the secondary PCI bus and less than 20ms on the 64 bit bus... Very
> interesting...

Glad it's not going to be a total loss.

I find AMD's behaviour over this bug to be very disappointing -
motherboards using this broken south bridge can still be purchased today
and the box does not state "Secondary PCI bus throughput limited to +-
25MB/s". You will not find this problem mentioned on their website either.

The board I tested is only 9 months old and when I pulled the SCSI card
and discs and placed them on the 33MHz bus of an equivalent dual Xeon
board, the throughput went up to +-90MB/s.

I was a big AMD fan prior to this, as the bang for the buck is way
better, but the time, money and effort wasted left a bad taste.

Regards,

Richard
-

-