Re: adding a disk smaller than the array size

I am using raid 1 - sorry for the incomplete information.

The situation is that the array was comprised of two disks, one
slightly smaller than the other.  I did need to remove the smaller of
the disks to fix a partition problem, but now I am unable to add it
back, presumably because the size of the array grew to the size of the
larger disk when the smaller disk was removed?

It is my understanding that the size of the array is not equal to the
amount of data that is actually on the disks.  Is this not true?

I tried to resize the array using mdadm, but that did not work (I got
an error saying the file exists).

The array now only consists of the one larger disk.  If I try to
reassemble the array with both disks, will the information from the
larger disk get synced to the other disk?  Or is there something else
I need to do?

Thanks,
Kristina