Re: adding a disk smaller than the array size

On Wednesday 13 October 2004 22:30, kclair wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how I can add a disk that is smaller than
> the size of the raid array to the array.  I'm confused about whether
> simply rebuilding the array with the new disk will work?

Well that is surely a rather incomplete question, since you do not even
mention which raid level you're talking about.

That said, I don't think this is possible, in most cases. Raid 5 cannot use a
disk which is smaller than its peers AFAIK, and neither can raid 1.
Obviously too, since they cannot be expected to just 'throw away' part of
their data...
Whether raid 0 and/or JBOD can I don't know; sure they can be _built_ with all
sorts of differing drive sizes, but I seem to recall those levels are not
supported by any on- or offline resizing tool (and they are by definition not
fault-tolerant so the issue of _replacing_ a drive is thereby moot...).

If you're looking for trouble / complexity you could consider to make a raid 0
array out of two smaller drives, and add that combo to your existing raid
set.  Don't know if raid 5 will accept that, but raid 1 will.  But such
solutions will probably not contribute to stability and reliability...

Hope that answered your question,
Maarten

> Thanks in advance for any advice,
> Kristina
> -

When I answered where I wanted to go today, they just hung up -- Unknown

-