Re: Raidreconf w/ 2.6.2

Hi,

I've got a large raid and I was hit by this problem.  I used raidreconf to add
a disk to my raid 5. The disk was larger than the other disks already in the
array. So I created a partition on the disk that was about the same size as the
other disks so that they would match up. The only problem is, I later found an
extra 10k in the partition I created on the new disk.

Obviously linux has no problem with this extra space. It just ignores it.  The
super block shows all the disks the same size (apparent disk size).

We've started getting some corruption in the array though. But not at a low level.
Badblocks shows no problems on the low level disks. The raid array never complains
or resyncs. But I have some applications that work with large files on the arrays.
If I have them check their files after a large amount of time they soemtimes find
that some small amount of data has gotten corrupted. I've tried this with multiple
unrelated applications.

Additionally I had created an ext2 partition on the extra space of the new drive.
That partiton also showed this corruption.

Obviously after testing other applications my next step was to shrink the array
removing the new disk and see if this still happens.

But the problem is, if I try to shrink the array I get this raid5_global_to_local
error which I believe is due to the different disk sizes. In this case the
partition on the new disk has the extra 10k. The error happens at the start of the
raidreconf so a quick fsck finds no issues. And I'm willing to deal with a little
data loss so I'm not concerned.

Finally my question is this. Am I correct in assuming that the extra 10k is going
to go completely untouched by the raid system? And thus I could resolve my
raidreconf issues by truncating the partition on the new disk down to the same
size as the other disks. And then merely fixing up anything that would be confused
by the new partition size.

Any help is appreciated.

Jason S.

-