Re: The right way to recover from md partition failure?

I think a better approach might be:

mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/hde3
dd if=/dev/hde3 of=/dev/null
check logs for nasty errors and only continue if there weren't any :)
mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/hde3

Having done this very thing this afternoon!!

If you have "some console messages about a bad block or something" then I'd make damn sure your disk is good before putting it back.
If you end up doing lots of retries during the resync and an error occurs on a remaining drive you'll be sorry!

In general a raid failure means you should suspect a disk failure.

I just wish Jeff G would get of his backside and make SMART work with libata - doesn't the man work on bank holidays? ;)

David

Guy wrote:

No need to copy, that's what md does.

Verify that the disk is not part of the array:
mdadm -D /dev/md1

I bet you will find the disk is there, but failed.
So, raidhotremove it, then raidhotadd it.

mdadm is the preferred tool.  The old raidtools are not supported.
For details:
man mdadm

You may need to install mdadm.

mdadm manage /dev/md1 -r /dev/hde3
mdadm manage /dev/md1 -a /dev/hde3

or short form:
mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/hde3
mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/hde3

It should start to re-sync.  Monitor the status with:
cat /proc/mdstat
and/or
mdadm -D /dev/md1

Guy