Re: Raid5 Construction Question

Using the SMART protocol to automatically test and monitor them (after a full test when I first build the box is how I typically steer clear of these things.

I've only done more err...budget setups using IDE but apparently it works well on SCSI too:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/smartmontools_scsi.html

You could very quickly issue a full test command to all the drives then come back later and check them to make sure they completed correctly

-Mike

Kourosh wrote:

I've found that one of the better ways of varifying a disk is to run the disk manufacturers disk utilities on it. They all provide a bootable disk to run the utilities. Several times I've had problems similar to this and each time it ended up being a disk that was failing. Run the utility as all the vendors I've dealt with require the error code from the utility to process an RMA, so might as well do it sooner, rather than later.

You could also try low-level formating each disk using the SCSI controllers utilities. IIRC it should remap any bad blocks.

Hope this helps,

Kourosh
-