RE: Scrub?

at least two of my older maxtor disks (model 4G120J6) reallocated a sector
during a long self test.  or maybe i didn't run enough of a controlled
experiment... but smartctl -a before and after diffs showed
"Reallocated_Sector_Ct"  increase by 1, and one of the two disks wasn't in
any use at the time.  (the other was in light use, and may have tripped up
the normal write-reallocate path.)

i have a cronjob run smartctl -a every day, and diff the output with the
previous day; and smartd runs the self tests once a week.

not that i'm disagreeing with the need for improvements to md in this
area... see <http://arctic.org/~dean/raid-wishlist.html> :)

-dean

-