RE: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian 'woody', homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

Not sure what your question is. 3ware cards are generally held in high
regard, although I have seen some traffic about performance problems,
although these seem to be contradicted by an equal number of "it works Ok
for me" traffic.

I needed at least 6 x 250GB drives so the 3Ware option was a little pricey,
hence my decision to go with md.

> >> No. I don't want a rogue script to fill up my root partition.
> >
> > That, of course, is the reason you would want to keep
> /var/tmp and/or
> > /tmp on separate partitions (or on the same partition -
> just symlink
> > so /var/tmp and /tmp are the same.)
>
> I would probably not symlink but I'd put them both on the
> same partition.

I have a separate /var partition so I will just symlink /tmp to /var/tmp.

> >> What I mean is, will md resync automatically or would I have to
> >> initiate this manually?
> >
> > Md should re-sync automatically.
>
> ... even onto a new blank disk? Or would you have to tell md
> manually "this is the new spare, please sync"? Is this easy
> to do? Something like
>
>         - copy partition table
>         - for FOO in 1 2 3 4 5 ; do tell md "sync hda$FOO to hdc$FOO"
>
> or is it more complicated?

Now that you've made me think about it I'm not entirely sure. I would do
this:

(assume /dev/sdc has failed).

Shutdown server.
Pull dead drive
Insert new drive
Boot up server

# sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdc

Now, it might be necessary to explicitly "remove" the failed device from the
arrays (before shutting down?) and to add it back in after replacing the
disk but I don't know.

I'm sure there are others on this list who can keep us right!

For example, would this work?:

# mdadm /dev/md5 -f /dev/sdc2 -r /dev/sdc2 -a /dev/sdc2

According to my understanding, this does the following:

1. Marks /dev/sdc2 as faulty in /dev/md5 (if the drive has failed it should
already be marked faulty??)
2. removes /dev/sdc2 from /dev/md5
3. Adds /dev/sdc2 to /dev/md5

Can anyone else clarify this?

> >> This setup seems quite complicated. Did you test the setup, ie.
> >> removed one of the MD disks and looked what happened?

I really ought to do this before I put the machine into "production"!

> > I deliberated long and hard about how to implement my new
> system and
> > this was about the least complicated route!
>
> Oh. ;)

> >> If they do all the rest that I need (smtp, web, file server,
> > I was being slightly slippant - Netapps just do big storage arrays
> > with very high availability. For example, if they detect
> that a drive
> > is failing they send an email to Netapps and an engineer
> comes round
> > with a replacement disk all without any user intervention! I guess
> > they're the Rolls Royce of storage solutions. Expensive though.
>
> Ah. Well I don't think this'll fit in our budget. :)

That should of course have read "flippant". But I think you got my meaning.
:)

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com