Re: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian "woody", homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

I have never tried to boot off of a 3ware raid, but to Linux it looks like

a scsi drive so I would imagine that it should work well. Someone else who has actually done this for real is probably better suited to answer.

Yes, this works.

I never use software raid for the partitions that need to be present at boot, since I have had total nightmares with root mirroring on other OSes (Solaris and DEC OSF), and I feel that backups of those partitions are better than the problems one might run into with software root mirroring.

I've had success with booting Linux from software RAID (including with drive failures), and if for some reason the boot loader gets in a knot, you can always use a grub floppy (since Linux software mirror partitions look like normal Linux partitions to the boot loader)...

Tim.

-