Re: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian "woody", homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Jens Benecke wrote:

> thanks for your answer. What hardware RAID1 options would I have here that
> are somewhat affordable? I see 3ware 2-drive RAID controllers for ¤120.-
> here, and Promise UDMA for ¤60.-
>
> I hear Promise only offers binary drivers and is only "software RAID", is
> the 3ware solution worth the extra ¤60 (less hassle and more
> compatbility)?

I have never tried to boot off of a 3ware raid, but to Linux it looks like
a scsi drive so I would imagine that it should work well. Someone else who
has actually done this for real is probably better suited to answer.

I never use software raid for the partitions that need to be present at
boot, since I have had total nightmares with root mirroring on other OSes
(Solaris and DEC OSF), and I feel that backups of those partitions are
better than the problems one might run into with software root mirroring.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx

-