Re: RAID 5 questions

Frank van Maarseveen wrote:

try running lilo with -v -v -v

Then you might see the BIOS drive number, geometry it assumes etc. You
will probably see only _one_ disk and in that case your system boots
by sheer luck.

With -v -v -v I discovered why my system refused to boot from raid 1.
It appears to actually boot from the first disk in the raid set, e.g:

	md1 : active raid1 hdg1[1] hda1[0]
				   ^^^^^^^

This is mounted on /boot and lilo will boot from hda1 (bios disk 0x80).
I had to reassemble the raid set in opposite order to get this because
hdg is unbootable (lilo assumed bios drive 0x81). But maybe my lilo is
old (21.4-4).

You can do this sort of thing to override lilo's idea of which linux device maps to which BIOS disk number e.g. I use this on one box:

disk=/dev/hda
       bios=0x80
boot=/dev/hda

#disk=/dev/hdf
#       bios=0x80
#boot=/dev/hdf

# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
root=/dev/md3

I run lilo twice (once with the hda lines uncommented, and once with the hdf lines uncommented) - so that the system will still boot with hda pulled from the machine - with hda broken, the machine still won't boot, but at least you can disconnect hda at that point, or disable it in the BIOS (so that hdf becomes 0x80)...

You can do a similar thing with grub, but with the advantage that you don't have to play around with the config file every time you upgrade the kernel (you could use two different lilo.conf's I suppose)...

I'm not sure if this has already been stated (Frank just implied it), but a simple workaround to the original problem is to make a small RAID1 /boot partition on a couple of the disks, and have the rest of the drives carved up as RAID5, and I think that if you're using lilo to load the kernel off RAID5, then you're being lucky (AFAIK).

e.g. I sometimes do this:

drive1   drive2  drive3   drive4
[ boot(raid1) ]  [ swap(raid1) ]
[     more-swap (raid5)        ]