Re: SATA chipset recomendations

David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Nick Maynard wrote:
>
>>Måns Rullgård wrote:
>>

>>>I'm using a Highpoint RocketRAID 1540 without any problems.  There
>>>have been reports on this list from others having strange problems
>>>with Rocket 1540 (no fakeraid) cards.  <snip>
>>>

>>Yup - that was me.  The basic Rocket (not RocketRAID) 1540 card gave
>>me /very/ serious problems with Linux.  Really - don't play with it.
>>I managed to get mine RMA'd, but... blech.
>>
>>The Promise TX4 SATA150, on the other hand, has been nothing but a
>>pleasure to work with.  It's been recommended by many on this list
>>in the past, and I will now recommend it to you.  Yes, it's more
>>expensive, but you get what you pay for.
>>

> I have one too - fairly happy (just having some raid5 resync issues
> but I'm doing some diagnostics and I doubt it's the card) :)
>
> I have wondered whether I'd have been better off with 2x Promise TX2s?
> I don't know where the bottleneck is with 4xSATA disks on a single
> Promise/PCI slot
> Or is it a single pci bus in which case the TX4 is fine?

For PCI transfers all cards share the same bus, so one or two cards
should give the same total bandwidth.

The reason I stay away from Promise cards is that I only got trouble
when I bought an UltraTX2 aka pdc20268 in the days when it was new and
hot.  It just would not work any faster than ata-33 without getting
numerous crc errors.  Maybe it wasn't compatible with the Alpha
machine, I don't know.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx