Problem with RAID-5 on SuSE 9.1 (cp hangs, high system load, cpu waits)

Hi there!

I'm running SuSE 9.1 on my fileserver with 6 hds:
1 40gb IBM system disk on the onboard ide0
5 120gb Maxtor disks, 1 with the system disk on onboard ide0 and 4 on an
Adaptec 1200A.

I configured the 5 120gb disks as software RAID-5 array, using ext3 as fs.
The system itself runs ok like that, but strange things happen, when I start
to copy files onto/from the RAID:
- Copying starts normally
- Copying hangs, no more data is transferred
- The CPU is almost 100% in wait state
- The system load increases steadily
- iowait is huge but the disks are idle

If I react quick, I can kill the cp process, and everything returns to
normality.
But if you wait too long, the process can't be killed anymore. The problem
is, you can't even shutdown the pc, because the system seems to wait for
something.
I then pressed the reset button. When booting, the system reports, it's
recovering the journal of md0, and hangs there. I waited about 15h at max,
but nothing happened. When resetting again, the system came up flawlessly,
and did about 1.5h of RAID-resync.
But when copying again, the same things would happen.

I was able to have the system running for half a week with all the hardware
inside, all disks connected, but each disk mounted as /disk1 etc. with
ext3. I then copied around some gb, but there was no high load or so, and
every cp terminated.
I read in the list, that there were some problems with ext3 as fs, so I
changed the fs to Reiser, but that didn't help.

After these tests I think, that it has to be something with the RAID itself,
or the simultaneous disk access in RAID-mode.

Any ideas about how to solve this problem would be highly appreciated!

Have a nice day!
Christoph

System Information:

AMD AthlonXP 1800+
512mb RAM
Shuttle AK31
ASUS DVD-ROM
1 IBM IC35L040AVER07-0 (40gb system disk)
5 Maxtor 6Y120L0 (120gb storage disks)
Adaptec 1200A PCI IDE Controller

/proc/version

Linux version 2.6.4-54.5-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 3.3.3 (SuSE
Linux)) #1 Fri May 7 21:43:10 UTC 2004

/proc/mdstat:

md0 : active raid5 hdh1[4] hdg1[3] hdd1[2] hdc1[1] hda1[0]
      480242688 blocks level 5, 128k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]

unused devices: <none>

/etc/fstab

/dev/hde3            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1
1
/dev/hde1            /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1
2
/dev/hde4            /var                 ext3       acl,user_xattr        1
2
/dev/hde2            swap                 swap       pri=42                0
0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0
0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0
0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0
0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0
0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        subfs
fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
/dev/md0             /storage             reiserfs   acl,user_xattr

/proc/dma

 4: cascade

/proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0:   11052606          XT-PIC  timer
  1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:      13236          XT-PIC  ide0, ide1, eth1, VIA8233
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 11:      79755          XT-PIC  eth0, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd
 12:         50          XT-PIC  i8042
 14:      43472          XT-PIC  ide2
 15:       7081          XT-PIC  ide3
NMI:          0