blockdev tuning

Question about tuning blockdev settings under Linux 2.6 kernel.

3ware tech support (and white papers on their web site) suggest tuning linux
blockdev settings to get better read speads on their hardware raid5. 3ware
suggests using 'blockdev --setra 16384 /dev/sdX' (where sdX is the device
corresponding to the hardware raid).

My question is, might there be -- or is there -- an advantage to doing
similar tuning for Linux software raid5?

Today, I tried using the 3ware blockdev setting on my mdX device. Before
tuning, I checked the default readahead value with 'blockdev --getra /dev/md1' and
it returned a value of 1709 or 1907. Something kind of low.

I tried using the 3ware suggested value for their hardware raid -- 16384.
With Bonnie++, (on an 18GB read/write) my read throughput increased from about
175 MB/sec to about 205MB/sec.

Does anybody know if there's a logical way to go about tuning blockdev
settings? And is it worth it?

I can see a 10 percent increase in reading throughput -- and a 100 percent
increase in the case of hardware raid5. But do these benchmark increases
translate into real world improvements?

Regards,
Andy Liebman
-