Re: AW: Stupid Question?

On Monday May 24, root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >             You can't make a raid out of /dev/hda and
> > /dev/hdb - whole
> > > devices.
> >
> > Why not?  I do it all the time.
> >
> > You cannot get the kernel to auto-detect the raid if it is
> > made from whole devices, but I don't care much about that.
> > It works for me.
>
> Whats the benefit of doing an Array over the whole devices? Are there
> any problems, for example that you maybe cannot boot from that array?

No particular benefit.  But if I want to RAID together a number of
whole drives, there seems little point partitioning them first.  It
would certainly work either way.  I choose the way that makes most
sense in my situation.

I often RAID1 a pair of whole devices, partition them into
root/swap/rest and boot off them (this is using md partitioning code
which isn't in 2.4, but is in 2.6).  There is a problem here that lilo
thinks it knows all about md arrays.  However I figured out how to
trick it into not realising they are md arrays and it works fine (I
create a symlink from /dev/MD* -> /dev/md* and only tell lilo about
/dev/MD*).

NeilBrown

-