Re: Hard drive Reliability?

> > WD junk.  So, lesson learned to stay away form WD drives; correct or
> > not.
>
> I'd agree with the one addition that, unfortunately they _ALL_ seem to
> be junk. Unfortunately, in my discussions with various associates we
> can't seem to come to any consensus on any particular brands being
> better or worse than others.

Our experience with Maxtor 60GB, 80GB, 120GB, various models, confirms
it isn't just WD.  In my opinion, all of the disk manufacturers have
become so price competitive that they cannot produce an excellent
product at the current price points.  If big PC manufacturers don't
care whose drive they use as long as it lasts at least 1 year (the PC
warranty period) in a home computer that is mostly idle or off, and
they only care about cost, there is little motivation for drive
manufacturers to produce a reliable drive - only a cheap one.
-