Hard drive Reliability?

I have a few discussions recently with technical service people and we
all come to the conclusion that Hard Drives are far less reliable than
they used to be.

Case in point, I have a 120G Maxtor drive in a server that began to fail
less than 8 months into service. Major headache.

I've heard similar stories from other people. I guy I know that sells
both desktop and file server systems now says he now only builds
motherboards with some kind of RAID 1 and dual drives because drives
fail so often this saves loads of headaches. After a their system has
died and they 'lost everything' people are more than willing to pay the
extra $150 for redundancy.

I know drive manufactures were sued recently in a class action for
shipping drives which they knew were going to fail prematurely but that
was a few years back.

So what are other peoples feelings about drive reliability and are some
brands better than others?

Does anyone know of any web sites with statistics or test data?

--
John Lange

-