Re: AW: Raid 1 vs 5 ?

Thank you Martin. You have some really great insights there.

A couple of things about the raid sets confused me:

> Each disk partitioned alike:
> 	1	30MB
> 	2	1/2 size_of_swap_
> 	5	rest_of_disk
>
> Now you can create mds on the disk:
> 	md0	raid1 sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
> 	md1	raid1 sda1 sdb1
> 	md2	raid1 sdc1 sdd1
> 	md3	raid5 sda5 sdb5 sdc5 sdd5

First, why do we skip sdx3 and sdx4 on each disk and go directly to sdx5
for partition numbers?

Second, I'm very confused by the way you divided up the raid sets....
I'm thinking you erred? I'm such a newb its possible I really don't
understand whats going on so hopefully you can verify.

md0: did you mean sda1 sdb1 sdc1 sdd1 ?
md1: did you mean sda2 sdb2 ?
md2: did you mean sdc2 sdd2 ?
md3: did you mean sda5 sdb5 sdc5 sdd5 ?

And last, is it possible to build the system from the beginning on RAID?
I'm using slackware. I see there is a section in the how-to for
converting a red hat system after the fact but obviously it would be
easier if I didn't have to do that.

Thanks very much Martin.

John Lange

-