Re: Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 and raid

On Thursday 29 April 2004 06:48, me@heyjay.com wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> It is ITE 8212 (I'm not sure if it is an "F" though).  The driver for
> RedHat and Mandrake are available on giga-byte.com.  When you say I'm out
> of luck, what exactly does that mean?

Well, let me spin my tale of woe :)

I have a GA K8N-Pro board, with the ITE 8212F RAID chipset.  Combined with the
SATA connectors and the regular IDE, I can use 10 drives - in theory.  I did
a 32 bit FC1 install using the regular IDE drives, and then hooked up a pair
of 120 GB drives to the RAID controller.  Loaded the driver from ite.com.tw,
and watched it do all sorts of funny things.  Shrugged, powered down and
removed the 120s.

Fast forward a month or so, and I have the machine in the UK now (bought it in
the US).  Running Gentoo64, runs like a charm.  Decide to poke the ITE driver
again, this time under the 2.6 kernel.  Had even worse results (search the
Gentoo AMD 64 forum and you'll see other people having issues).  Have tossed
several logs at ITE, once I managed to convince them that they wrote the
driver (!), seeing as it had their copyright on it.

For a 2.4 series kernel, under 32 bit, you may have more luck than I have had.
If I had more of a clue about drivers for kernels (and C in general), I'd
tackle this and make the driver work.  I don't, so I can't, unless I can
convince someone other than ITE to scratch the itch.