Re: new raid system for home use

Grettengs! This is my first post to the list.

On my system (a dedicated fileserver running gentoo Linux) I partition all of my drives the same way:
P1 - 1 cyl - /boot
P2 - swap
P3 - 2G/RAID 5 - /
L5 - 4G/ext2 - / alternate
L* - 35G/RAID 5 - Storage partitions

I use lilo with a duel boot.
Default boot uses the RAID 5 root.
Secondary boot uses the ext2 root.  This partition is copied onto every drive.

This way, I have all of the advantages of RAID 5 for my OS, but I can boot to a mundane partition if the RAID should break or needs maintanence (like adding another drive).
If the boot drive dies, I can boot from CD and chroot to any of the remaining drive's L5 partition.
I have tested both boots and it works quite well. The cost in space is 4G from a 250G drive. About a 2% overhead.

It could be argued that this layout would be more efficient if root were placed closer to the center of the cylinders. But this is not a very active machine. It basicly holds my large multimedia files while they wait their turn for processing (takes 100G to filter and process 1 hour of video). No data streaming applications. So I took the mental shortcut.

Hope this is useful.

Bob W.