Re: A puzzling thing about RAID5: syslogd write the log success but another process can not read the /var/log/messages

Gewj -

I believe you have your RAID numbers crossed.  RAID 5 requires a minimum
of 3 disks.  Perhaps you meant raid 1, which is a mirror.

I don't believe RAID would have caused the symptoms you saw (When RAID
detects a problem, assuming it has enough redundancy information, your
view of the data should not change.  Of course, if you lose 1 too many
disks, your data will not be intact, but you will be getting FS errors
like crazy.)

However, I have seen this type of symptom before on  some FreeBSD boxes
I co-maintain.  In those cases, a less experienced member of root would
notice a log file grow too big, delete it, and create a new 0-byte file.
However, syslog would still have the old file open, and be writing into
it.  But for anybody else, they would see a 0-byte file.  The problem
is that when you delete a file, it isn't actually deleted, it is just
unlinked from the directory structure.  When the last process to have the
file open closes it, it will then be gone.  Of course, this means that
your filesystem may fill up (check with df), although utilities like du
and ls will not show the file.  Yes, that is really fun to track down
at 3am when /var fills up.

Hope that answers your questions,
Nathan

-