AW: RAID1 Mirroring question.

> afaikt, MD raid1 assumes that any data-corrupting errors are reported.
> if the device corrupts data and lies to the driver/kernel/md, then you
> are in trouble.  this applies to both reads and writes.
>
> it's easy to imagine a ckraid1 tool that somehow forces reads of all
> copies of each block. but with two mirrors, there would presumably
> be no way to decide which to use...
>
> all that said, I've never seen this happen.

Unfortunately, I've seen things like this not just but quite a few
times: Sometimes it seems to happen that over time sectors on a harddisk
can become unreadable. As long as  you don't actually access that sector
there's no way to detect this kind of failure.

Later, either a read/write error or an unclean shutdown causes the OTHER
disk to be kicked out of a raid array. Now, during resync, the bad
sector is noticed and causes the resync to fail. Recovery from this
situation is fairly aggravating.

A chraid functuon / tool would greatly help by detecting faild / bad
sectors while there still is a good copy of those sectors available.

> then again, raid1 is a sort of ugly niche feature, IMO.  how many
> systems can afford two but not three disks?  raid5 is not scary!

Urr, I don't agree at all here: If you've got lots of small random
writes (in practice: a database) raid 5 performance really sucks, raid1
is much better here.

Also, 3 disks may not be physically feasible in all configurations.

Bye, Martin

-