Re: Which raid card to buy for Sarge

Sandro Dentella wrote:
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:56:40AM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:

it out and insert the new drive in the array. The array starts rebuilding - no effect on the uptime and only a slight loss in throughput. Plus it's seamless.

Yeah, md+mdadm can do all this right now, provided the hardware and driver support is there...

Yes, my point however is for low budget stuff with software raid the driver support is not yet there in a vanilla kernel.
I can't just whack a sata drive off one of my promise SATA150-TX4 controllers, pop another one in and have the kernel rescan the partition table and realise a new drive was present. (YET!)

I'm sort of confused... which are the combinations that allow me to hotswap a
disk w/ software raid. I don't mind doing some mdadm operations, I'm just
interested in how I can avoid rebooting.

I thought I couldn't, now I learn you can "provided the hardware and driver
support is there"... can you detail a little more?

Yup. Currently, SCSI has the hardware and driver support. SATA has the hardware support, but not the driver support (Yet).