From: linux-raid-owner@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-raid-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Brad Campbell
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:02 AM
To: seth vidal
Cc: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Which raid card to buy for Sarge

seth vidal wrote:
>>One point. Hardware raid (and faux hardware raid) provides real hot swap
with on-the-fly rebuilds.
>>Linux software raid can't (yet).
>

> umm. That's surprising. My software raid arrays running on dell
> powervault 221s scsi boxes with adaptec 39160 controllers are
> hotswappable and when I put in a new disk and add it to the array it
> resyncs on the fly.
>
> Are you just talking about ide-based raid?

Yes. ATA and SATA raid (Which is the majority of low budget linux software
raid stuff)
I realise scsi is hotswap. It comes with the turf.

I would find it pretty hard to justify the expense of scsi for my 7 drive
1.4TB low speed array (Low
speed because I never *need* more than about 2MB/s in any direction but I
need heaps of space)

Brad
-

-