RE: Which raid card to buy for Sarge

I have hot swapped software RAID disks, and re-synced without a re-boot.
Another time the system had a disk failure and re-synced to the hot spare.
I was there and using the system and never knew until the next day.
So, very little performance impact.

With software RAID (md) you must invoke some commands to do the hot swap.
It's not auto-magic.  Some of the hardware RAID systems I know of don't need
any user input to re-sync.  Just swap the bad disk for a good one.

It would be nice if md could detect a disk being replaced and do everything
needed without user input.
BUT!!  md has a big difference on that point.
md does not mirror disks!
Read the above line again!

md mirrors partitions.  I think it is a major difference.  You must
partition the disk that is replacing the failed disk.  A hardware RAID
system usually (maybe always) works on the whole disk.  Since md only works
on partitions it makes having a hot spare a real pain.  I have 2 disk that
make up "/boot" and "/".  Each are mirrored using these 2 disks.  I also
have 14 disks in a RAID5 array.  I have 1 spare.  The spare is configured
with 1 partition.  It is a spare for the RAID5 array.  It can't spare for
the other 2 disks since they have 2 partitions.

Guy