Re: O'Reilly RAID Book

> I'm wondering how up to date the book remains, and if a new edition is
> perhaps just around the corner (I hate buying a book two weeks before an
> updated edition is released!).

The book was released in December of 2002. It's relevance really depends
on what you're looking for. It covers RAID-1, obviously, but the book is
RedHat-centric, especially on this topic (installation to RAID), and so
your Slackware 9.1 question isn't addressed in it.

I'm surprised to learn that Slackware 9.1 doesn't have decent install-time
support for RAID-1.

As far as updated editions: Unfortunately it is extremely unlikely that
O'Reilly will do a second edition of MROL. This is too bad as I personally
feel there is a much room for updates, improvement and expanded material,
possibily including LVM and EVMS coverage. However, sales figures just
don't warrant a new edition, and I doubt very much that they will be
compelled to move forward with this title.

At the end of this year (once the book has been out for two years), I'll
ask them to consider licensing the material so that groups like LDP can
create deriviate works. I've already pledged it to the Creative Commons,
Founder's Copyright
(http://creativecommons.org/projects/founderscopyright/oreilly), so it
will eventually be available, regardless.

Derek

-