Re: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
o Rebuilds

> 90% kernel, AFAICS, otherwise you have races with requests that the driver is actively satisfying

o Auto-array enumeration

userspace

o Meta-data updates for "safe mode"

unsure of the definition of safe mode

o Array creation/deletion

	of entire arrays?  can mostly be done in userspace, but deletion
	also needs to update controller-wide metadata, which might be
	stored on active arrays.

o "Hot member addition"

userspace prepares, kernel completes

[moved this down in your list]
o Meta-data updates for topology changes (failed members, spare activation)

[warning: this is a tangent from the userspace sub-thread/topic]

	the kernel, of course, must manage topology, otherwise things
	Don't Get Done, and requests don't do where they should.  :)

	Part of the value of device mapper is that it provides container
	objects for multi-disk groups, and a common method of messing
	around with those container objects.  You clearly recognized the
	same need in emd... but I don't think we want two different
	pieces of code doing the same basic thing.

I do think that metadata management needs to be fairly cleanly separately (I like what emd did, there) such that a user needs three in-kernel pieces: * device mapper * generic raid1 engine * personality module

	"personality" would be where the specifics of the metadata
	management lived, and it would be responsible for handling the
	specifics of non-hot-path events that nonetheless still need
	to be in the kernel.

-