RE: Promise SuperSwap 1000 & linux software raid ?

Phillipe (et. al)...

The Linux drivers for ATA-RAID do not support the hot-swap and hot-rebuild
feature of the Promise SuperSwap line of ATA drive trays -- only the Promise
provided drivers can do that (see
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=88&categ
ory=driver&os=3 )

The problem with these drivers is that they are generally tied to the
original kernel release of the RHL kernels. However, there is a way to
force-load the driver with later kernel releases (see the HOWTO here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-Promise-RAID1-HOWTO/modinstall.html )

Also note that the Linux kernel raid cannot be mixed with the Promise
drivers... so some care is necessary (I think it is nicely covered in the
above howto)

I use the Promise driver over the kernel driver for precisely the reason you
have inquired -- the hot rebuild capability. Good luck with your use of this
information!!!

Best Regards,

Dan McAllister, President
IT4SOHO, LLC