Re: Moving controllers

Robin Bowes wrote:

why not just experiment and find out?  put two disks on a single channel,
make the raid, power down, move the slave to another channel, and see if
the raid assembles.

One word: time; I was hoping someone could tell me if it would work to
save me messing around. Of course, if I plan to do this I will perform
some sort of test first.

The answer is yes it will work fine. I had 5 200gb WD disks set as autodetect raid-5 My internal VIA IDE interfaces were hda/b/c/d My external CMD680 IDE interfaces were hde/f/g/h

I had raid disks on c/d/e/f/g.
I created the raid and ran it for months, then I shuffled the disks and master/slave jumpers.
No problems.
I then purchased a couple of Highpoint 1540 SATA cards and a bundle of addonics SATA-> IDE adaptors.
Using the in-kernel hpt ata driver, no problem.
I then moved across to a pair of Promise SATA150-TX4 cards with the libata driver, no problem.

So as you can see, these disks have been "everywhere man" and I never had a problem with the kernel or appropriate tools picking them up in any order.

Brad
-