Re: [Fwd: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review]

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:01:17PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> > > Vetoed.  Kernel-level autodetection code is deprecated already, don't
> > > even try to add functionality for it.
> >
> > So do you speak for the entire community in expressing that auto-detection
> > will never make sense in the kernel?  Are you completely unwilling to
> > entertain even a minor discussion on the topic for those of us that don't
> > understand the concerns the community has in supporting it?

I personally see the use for it, but alas. This have also been an
for EVMS and the reason they`ve changed so radically change between 1.2 and 2.0

> I speak about the concencus the 'community' has reached in the past.
> If you invested the tiniest amount of googling you'd have seen messages
> from Neil where he sais he'd rather get rid of autodetection ioctls
> in favour of mdadm doing the work, and patches extending autodetection
> beeing rejected.  Which pretty much fits into the general do it in
> userspace if you can rule.

Yes.
Personally I have different views on it, but that's the direction that especially the hardcore kernel developers on the linux kernel mailing list views the
world and auto discovery etc.

Hendrik
-