Re: Adaptec aacraid

jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Scott Long wrote:

> jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
> > I've been hunting around on adaptec's web site, but I haven't found it.
> > Is there a raidutil package (Storage Manager) that supports the 2200S?
> > I'd like to be able to manage the arrays and query for drive information
> > without taking the system down.
>
> The 2200S comes with both a command line and GUI app for managing
> the card under Linux. It should be on the CD that came with the card.

I'll have to see if I can get someone to put that CD in.  The server in
question is >100 miles away and was setup remotely.  Is there a reason the
software isn't online?...or did I just fail to find it?

Try this:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/AAR-2810SA&filekey=asmbe_linux_v1.23.006.tgz

This is from the 2810SA download page, but should work fine for the
2200S.  I'm not sure why the apps packages are not posted for linux
in the 2200S section.

BTW...as long as someone from Adaptec is here, I have to say I was
somewhat horrified when during installation of
aacraid-drv_1.1.4.2323-rh9.rpm (hoping there was a copy of Storage Manager
in one of the tar files inside it) the following ran:

 postinstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
 cd /opt/Adaptec/aacraid.rh9
 sh ./install.sh

which appears to have removed the Red Hat kernel RPM provided aacraid
module for several of the installed kernel rpms, installed its own, and
updated initrd files, all without asking/warning.  Fortunately, it didn't
have a module for the latest/current kernel, so it didn't mess with the
module actually in use.

I'll pass this along to the person who is responsible for the aacraid RPMs. I believe that the script is supposed to leave around a backup of the old modules and initrds. Did it not in this case?

Scott

-