Re: RAID 0 -> 1 possible?

On Thursday 11 March 2004 21:44, Jeff Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Is it possible to convert from RAID 0 to 1 without data loss?

No, obviously.  Raid 1 is mirrored, so your useable space is only half of your
total capacity at best. Raid 0 uses the full capacity of the disks, so until
you can solve how to put twice as many data onto the same space, one cannot
convert from raid0 -> raid1 without 'losing data'...

> Given a system with two disks, three partitions on each: boot, /, and swap.
>
> Convert / from RAID 0 to 1 without requiring a backup/reinstall/restore
> scenario

Even without the <total data size> problems as outlined above, you cannot
touch either disks of a raid 0 set without destroying data, that is the whole
point of raid 0.  So, even an online-migration tool sounds implaudible.

> Any RAID-mojo-masters with the answer?

I'm not a RAID-mojo-master, but then again I don't believe one needs to be one
to answer this. It stems directly from the theory of operation of the levels.

Maarten

-