Re: DDF Trial Use draft specification now publicly available

Matt Domsch wrote:
The Disk Data Format (DDF) trial use draft spec has now been published
by SNIA.  This is the common on-disk metadata format that
RAID vendors have been driving towards, which should allow one to move
disks from one vendor's RAID controller to another vendor's RAID
controller without the backup-rebuild-restore that's currently needed.

http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/ddftwg

Thanks for posting this.

I haven't even read past "locality" section to find brokenness. DDF RAID groups (a.k.a. each RAID array) must store information about other RAID groups "on the controller." There is also apparently per-controller state information one must care about. While I understand why they would want this, this also means the format is quite a bit less flexible than md, and in some respects, more difficult to work with.

/me continues reading...