Creating partitionable raid on existing disk (was: Re: Partitioned raid and major number)

On 2004.03.01 02:09, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Monday March 1, miquels@cistron.nl wrote:
> >
> > What do you think of that approach ? Converting from a 1 disk setup
> > to a 2-disk RAID1 setup on an existing system is something that lots
> > of people want to do, seeing that the software raid howto even has
> > a few paragraphs dedicated to it.
>
> What I am thinking of doing is allowing:
>
>    md=0,1,/dev/sda
>
> to assemble a raid1 array without a superblock which uses just
> /dev/sda.
> Then
>
>    md=d0,1,/dev/sda root=/dev/md_d0p1
>
> would boot off md/d0p1 instead of sda1, but it would be the same data.
>
> Then you would be able to add mirrors to this with something like:
>
>   mdadm --grow /dev/md/d0 --disks=2
>   mdadm /dev/md/d0 --add /dev/sdb
>
> and you could convert it into an array with a persistent superblock
> using:
>    mdadm --grow /dev/md/d0 --persistent=yes
>
> The only difficult bit is the setting a persistent superblock means
> reducing the size of the device, and I would like it to be hard to do
> that in error, but not impossible to do it.

Any progress on this?

The right thing to do would probably be to check if the device actually has
partitions - refuse to reduce the size of the device if it doesn't have
any partitions, or if any partition overlaps with the MD superblock.
That should be easy enough I think.

But it would take changes in both userlevel tools (add --grow to mdadm) and
the kernel, right ? So in the short run, I'll be better off by booting a
Knoppix CD and running mdadm from there, I suppose.

Are you interested in the patch I made to be able to initialize (but not run!)
an array on a disk that is otherwise busy (i.e. can't be bd_claim()ed) ?
Basically it just adds a SET_ARRAY_INFO_CONFONLY ioctl. I have patches for
both the kernel and mkraid, and they're pretty simple.

Mike.
-