Re: new RAID-1 Array always shows filesystem errors...

Hi,

I have made some more investigation in the problem I described and I think it
has something to do with changes in the raid code betweed 2.4.25 and 2.6.1
(that's the versions I used at last).

Here in short the problem I noticed:

An old raid-1 array (2/2 disks) worked with with 2.6.1, but if I wanted to
create a new one that I had problems.

I always started in degraded mode (1/2 drives), because the second hard drive
for the raid-1 array was in the moment in use. Later I added the missing
drive and after the sync procress I can't access a lot of files and the files
I could access were damages (seems to miss about 50% or at least 50% was crap
content). After remove the second disk again the data was okay again. dmesg /
syslog showed reiserfs/fs errors (see my first mail)

Now I downgraded to 2.4.25 again and I still had the raid-1 array with the
missing hard drive in degraded mode, which I set up under the 2.6.1 kernel.
So I added now the missing drive again.

After syncing the content is still okay, now broken files, no data
corruption... After even two reboots. The only difference between distaster
and a perfect system seems to be my kernel-version:

Here the facts of my system once again:

AMD Duron 900, 1x60GB (Linux System itself),4x120GB (2xRAID1), VIA IDE
Controller + Promise Ultra 133 Controller.

Debian Unstable with GCC 3.3,2, libc6 2.3.2
Vanilla Kernel 2.4.25 / Vanilla Kernel 2.6.1 (plus pnpbios patch)
mdadm 1.4.0
raidtools 0.42

/proc/mdstat example for my setup:
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md1 : active raid1 hdf[0] hdg[1]
      120627264 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 hde[0]
      120627264 blocks [2/1] [U_]

Because my old raid array worked under 2.6.1 without a problem with both disks
(never made a resync under the 2.6) I think it has something to do with the
sync... I use to hotadd a harddrive:

mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdf (for example)

Is the sync process a kernel oder a userland thing? If it is userland maybe it
i also a debian bug, if so, please notice me, than I will put it in the
debian bug tracking system.

thanks,

--Ralph

Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2004 13:00 schrieben Sie:

-