Re: 3ware escalade vs software raid, from a different jeff

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 at 7:38pm, Jeff Garzik wrote

> Rev. Jeffrey Paul wrote:

> > I am looking at a four disk raid5 or raid10, and it seems like
> > the interrupt load from four drives on four channels might be a bit
> > excesive.  I'm going to be running critical services on the machine
> > that the drives are in (namely mysql and nfs) and don't want to worry
> > about performance.
>
> Once your spindles can max out your PCI bus bandwidth, -then- you can
> start worrying about PCI bandwidth and interrupt load ;-)

With some boards, it's actually pretty easy to do that.  ;)  Not with 4
disks, as the OP is doing, but 8 disks on one 64bit/33MHz bus (3ware
7500-8) can start to bump up against the PCI bandwidth.  I've got a couple
servers with 2 3wares and 16 disks, and I need to put the 3wares on
separate PCI busses to make sure I get the full speed out of the combined
array (hardware RAID5, software RAID0).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering